This funding record is inactive. Please see the program website or contact the program sponsor to determine if this program is currently accepting applications or will open again in the future.
National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Site Application
Application Deadline: Jun 22, 2023
Bureau of Health Workforce (BHW)
Offers assistance with recruiting and retaining primary care clinicians at approved practice sites that provide quality, culturally competent primary healthcare services in Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs). Seeks to support comprehensive primary care and primary care behavioral health services in rural and underserved communities.
Amount of Funding
Sites officially accepted into the NHSC program receive assistance with recruiting and retaining primary care clinicians at their facility. Assistance is provided at no cost.
Who Can Apply
- State prisons
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Certified Rural Health Clinics (RHCs)
- Critical Access Hospitals (CAHs)
- Community Mental Health Centers
- State or local health departments
- Community outpatient facilities
- Private practices
- School-based clinics
- Mobile units
- Free Clinics
- Substance use disorder treatment facilities
The following site types are eligible to receive automatic approval as an NHSC practice site once the initial application for new site approval:
- Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs)
- Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs) look-alikes
- Indian Health Service (IHS) facilities, tribally-operated 638 health programs, dually-funded Tribal Health Clinic and FQHC 330 funded facilities, urban Indian health programs and Indian health hospitals
- Federal prisons
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Health Service Corps facilities
Applicant sites must be located in, and treat patients from, a federally designated Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSA). In order to be eligible, sites must have a HPSA designation as of the first day of the NHSC site application cycle. Applicants must contact their state or territorial Primary Care Office (PCO) with any inquiries or to apply for a HPSA designation.
What This Program Funds
Topics This Program Addresses
Healthcare Facilities • Healthcare Workforce • Mental Health