Mutual Self-Help Housing Technical Assistance Grants


Additional Links

Fact Sheet


Applications accepted on an ongoing basis


USDA Rural Development (USDA RD)


Provides grant funding to advance homeownership in rural areas through the implementation of local self-help housing construction projects. Supports nonprofit organizations in carrying out projects assisting groups of individuals and families with low-incomes as they construct their own homes. Helps people who do not qualify as homeowners obtain affordable, clean, and safe homes of their own, with priority for loan assistance given to families living in substandard housing.

Eligible program activities include:

  • Supervising and providing technical assistance to participating families
  • Assisting other organizations offering self-help technical assistance and supervisory guidance
  • Recruiting families to participate in the program
  • Helping eligible families complete loan applications and other related activities to ensure their participation

Amount of Funding

Award amounts are based on the experience and capability of the applicant and the number of families that will be assisted. Maximum grant awards are limited to:

  • An average technical assistance (TA) cost per equivalent unit of no more than 15% of the cost of equivalent value of modest homes built in the area
  • An average TA cost of per equivalent unit that does not exceed the difference between the equivalent value of modest homes in the area and the average mortgage of the participating families minus $1,000
  • A TA cost per equivalent unit cost that does not exceed an amount established by the state director
  • A negotiated amount for repair and rehabilitation proposals

Who Can Apply

Eligible applicants include government and private nonprofit organizations, and federally recognized Indian tribes.

Applicants can use the search tool to determine if a project will serve an eligible rural area.

Geographic Coverage


What This Program Funds

Buildings and Facilities • Equipment • New Program • Operating Costs and Staffing

Application Process

Application information, requirements, instructions, and forms are available on the program website.

Contact your local USDA Rural Development state office to speak with the housing programs specialist to discuss your specific project and start an application.


For program questions:
Contact the appropriate USDA Rural Development state office

Topics This Program Addresses

Community Planning and Coalition Building • Housing and Homelessness