SAMHSA Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) Programs
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
Assists with the provision of comprehensive and integrated substance use disorder (SUD) treatment and early intervention services for those with or at risk of developing SUD. Provides information on reimbursement coding for screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment (SBIRT) services and related resources.
What This Program Offers
SBIRT services include:
- Screening to determine substance use severity and identify necessary treatment measures
- Brief intervention that promotes enhanced insight and awareness of substance use as well as increased desire and willingness to alter behaviors
- Treatment referral services for individuals in need of extensive care
- Information on reimbursement offered by commercial insurance, Medicare, and Medicaid
Contact SAMHSA's toll-free helpline at 800-662-4357 or text your ZIP code to 43578 to find additional resources in your area.
Who Can Receive Services from This Program
- People with SUD
- Individuals at risk of developing SUD
Topics This Program Addresses
Prevention • Reimbursement and Payment Models • Substance Use Disorder • Treatment